[3830] SS SSB VE3RX Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 19 15:08:12 EST 2018

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VE3RX
Operator(s): VE3RX
Station: VE3RX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Made the Sweep...
Problems Sat. evening with bad connector on 40M cable in shack. Tried twice to
call the PR station, only to have the amp fault. Discovered a bad adapter after
about 1/2 hour diagnosing what was happening. Replaced cable, and on my third
try, got the PR section, though he was starting to fade by then...
By Sunday late afternoon, only had 3 missing sections - NL (who didn't miss that
one), VT (of course, as usual) and of all things GTA (only 240 miles south of
me!).
Had several good runs, and 80M was the workhorse with over half the contacts and
over half the sections. Doing the last run on 80M Sunday night, a VT station
called me. Yay - only 2 more to go. Finally, GTA called, and ended up with about
4 of them within an hour. My run on 80M was running well, but occasionally got
QRM from some stations just below me (about -2.5kHz). Sometimes it was ok, other
times someone would splatter all over my QSOs. As my 80M run started to go dry
near the end of the contest, I figured that there must be some
"wanted" station below me that everyone was calling. Went down that
2.5kHz, and lo and behold, heard VO1BQ calling CQ and working the pileups. He
must have been there for some time, I and never knew (I run "B"
class). Took only about 3-4 calls to get him, and got NL for my sweep. Just
plain lucky...
Last hour or so, just did S and P to give others my ONN.

K3/KPA500/KAT500 with 3 element beam on 20M, inverted V on 40 and 80