[3830] SS SSB K3CCR Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Nov 23 11:36:51 EST 2018

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K3CCR
Operator(s): N3UM W3GB
Station: K3CCR

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: MDC

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

K3CCR is the club station at the Collington continuing-care
retirement community at FM 18OW in MD, just east of DC. N3UM and
W3GB did Multi HP in the 2018 SSB SS.

I (N3UM) started on 20m. but sigs were weak and rate BAD, 3 Qs in
15 min. I ran outside to see if the beam was mispointed. YES, 180
deg. off! A bug in the Yaesu rotor control?  Flipped the dial
pointer, turned the beam west, worked 3 loud W6/7 mults in 4 min,
and then ran for 64 Qs in 62 min. Got 5 of 9 W6 sects on 20 plus
AK, NT, and all but MT in W7 before QSY to 40 m. Whew! Glitch
fixed, but it cost ~35 or so Qs.

I quit at 0130Z with 157 Qs and 55 sects. W3GB then did very well
on the late shift, 0130-07Z. He got 197 Qs on 80m, 109 of them in
a 2-hr run, and 13 Qs on 40m. He worked 25 sects for a total of
367 Qs and 80 sects.

A bit before QRT at 07Z W3GB saw one of our two networked
computers go nuts; it changed to the week-old SS CW log, and
jumped our sent QSO number by 46. Too late to pursue it; he left
a note. Sun. about 12Z I found that all Qs had been logged by the
other computer (that’s why we have two!), and re-booted N1MM+ OK.

I then got 110 Qs on 40, 65 of them in a 1-hr. run, 61 Qs on 20m,
and the last 3 sects for a sweep; NL at 1456, ORG at 1500, and AB
at 1624Z. Then we both scraped up Qs, with breaks to eat, till
0237 QRT when rate died.

We were pleased to get 799 Qs, 132.6K points, and a sweep in 22.2
hrs. BIC despite the glitches. Only once in 5 years did we do
better, 23 hrs. and 140.5K in 2016, with an SFI of 77 instead of 70.