[3830] CQWW CW K8CN SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 25 22:48:15 EST 2018

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K8CN
Operator(s): K8CN
Station: K8CN

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: NH

  160:    5     2        2
   80:   13     4        4
   40:  117    14       48
   20:  196    14       59
   15:   51    12       37
   10:    1     1        1

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

If the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expecting
different results, this year's contest makes me certifiable!  When I compared
this year's raw score with last year's, they are exactly the same - what a
coincidence.

Perhaps it's just foggy memory, but propagation conditions this year seemed
marginally better than last year's slog.  I still couldn't get any runs going
when I was heard on 1st call repeatedly in EU when doing S&P, but that shows
the narrow margin, which never lasts all that long, that QRP and a single modest
antenna provides in the declining phase of the solar cycle.

Frustration again over what should be easy multipliers (even for QRP) left on
the table for want of a decent south-pointing gain antenna on 20 and 15 meters
and something, heck anything, for 80 meters.

Thanks to all the great ops who somehow pull my call and exchange out of the low
din of a pileup I can hear while I'm calling - your skills make this enterprise
truly fun.

Best QSO of the contest: my sole 10 meter contact for zero points, but zone and
country credit, with neighbor KC1XX just 60 miles to the west of my QTH!

Big station improvement this year: new keyboard to replace the "el
cheapo" that came with my refurbished desktop machine - what a pleasure to
type on solid keys with quiet action!

73,
Mike, K8CN

Rig: K3/10 @ 5 watts, Lazy H (cut for 20 meters, but used on all bands to
varying degrees of success as my Q counts reveal) - same antenna for past 7
years, but keep expecting better results == certifiable!