[3830] CQWW CW KH7B(K4XS) SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 26 00:38:22 EST 2018

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: KH7B
Operator(s): K4XS
Station: KH7XS

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Big Island

  160:  197    21       30
   80:  696    30       74
   40: 1300    37      117
   20: 1441    37      121
   15: 1184    27       67
   10:   11     9       10

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

My first all band full time effort in the CW part of the WW.  Having put in the
same time in the chair for the phone WW four weeks ago, I can tell you the CW
one is much tougher, especially for a phone op.  One 45 minute nap before
sunrise on Sunday morning makes Morse code sound like just dits and dahs for the
last 6 or 7 hours hours.  My apologies to the guys who tried to make a contact
with me and wondered who the idiot at the key was who couldn't get calls
straight and kept pushing the wrong keys etc.

Some thoughts:

Set out to break the Oceania record of 6.89M, tough to do with the shortage of
mults out here, so you have to make more Q's.

You can tell it's the bottom of the cycle when you make more zones and countries
on 160 and 80 combined than you did on 10 and 15.  160 was a blast on my
Saturday evening.  It was smoking, as was 80.  I was amazed when I saw how many
Q's I made on these two bands.  They have never been "money bands" in
the past, especially out in KH6.

40 was surprise with the activity from all over.

20 was its usual at this part of the cycle, but eastern EU was much tougher than
in the past.  Most of the LY, ES etc was worked Sunday morning when weak
fluttery guys called in among the W/K pile ups.

15 was dismal with no EU, unless you count a couple of Iberian peninsula guys
calling.  However, the JAs and BA guys were out in force.

10? It teased all weekend with one NA worked, a few SA, one Carib, one KH6  and
a ZL in the log, but all unique zones and countries.

The new station plays and if a top shelf CW guy would have been in the chair a
score of 10M might have possible.  I head back to the mainland this week and
will not be radioactive until early next year.  Thanks for all the Q's in the
four big contests of the fall.