[3830] CQWW CW N1MM(@W1TJL) M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 26 09:03:25 EST 2018

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N1MM
Operator(s): NB1U K1EBY W1TJL W1UJ N1IXF W1VEM
Station: W1TJL

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: CT

  160:  109    13       52
   80:  501    24       91
   40: 1067    31      121
   20: 1837    35      143
   15:  406    23       93
   10:    2     2        2

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

hate Murphy.
Not the Marauder kind, the bad luck kind.
It started on Friday after lunch when Frank K1EBY and I went out to raise the
towers.  The 77 foot tower somehow got jammed and the extending cable snapped a
few feet above the winch.  Damaged cable??  Jammed tower?  Ice??  We won’t
know until we lower it and inspect it.  Anyway, it has the 4 element SteppIr on
it and it was in the lowered position – about 28 to 30 ft – And that is the
height of the SteppIr all weekend.  It does not play as well as it does up at 77
ft.  
Then the most reliable amp, my Ten-Tec Titan 3 suddenly had the bands witch knob
that has very definite detents when you change to each new band no longer had
detents!  Took it apart and found the mechanism that causes the detents was no
longer working.  We were able to “gingerly and carefully” change bands but
it was not easy and took quite a bit longer with the changes.
But for all that, we ended at just a bit below 7 million points and 3922 QSOs
and 710 mults.  I don’t think conditions were good but they also were not
terrible.
Thanks to all the operators and visitors:  K1EBY, W1UJ, NB1U, N1IXF, W1VEM,
W1FTE
We had fun, ate too well and enjoyed the weekend!  And a special thanks to my
wonderful XYL who fed us Shepherd’s Pie, Lasagna, and heated and served the
food everyone brought, and, of course, put up with us all weekend.
Hope everyone else had a great time too…
73, Tom W1TJL