[3830] CQWW CW VE3VN SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 26 10:34:11 EST 2018

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE3VN
Operator(s): VE3VN
Station: VE3VN

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:

  160:  202    12       37
   80:  320    14       64
   40:  506    24       86
   20:  776    27       88
   15:  141    20       62
   10:    0     0        0

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I was getting crushed on the low bands the first night because the conditions
were just poor enough to bury my 100 watts. The second night was much better,
where I had good runs to Europe on both 40 and 80, and picked up lots of need
multipliers on 40, 80 and 160. Nothing heard on 10, although I did try
occasional bouts of CQing to see if I could rustle up someone local instead of
bothering someone to move for me.

More and higher antennas online this year improved my score. But 100 watts can
only accomplish so much. Many mults went unworked because I could not break the
pile ups or they could not hear me at all.

I have been having rotator indicator troubles. A few weeks ago I got the
direction pot on the prop pitch repaired, and a few days later the T2X pot went
squirrely on me. I had no opportunity to fix it. Early Saturday morning I saw
the T2X meter needle wandering around instead of sitting full scale. After about
10 minutes of this entertainment it solidly settled on the correct direction,
and kept working for the duration. About an hour later the meter needle on the
prop pitch also started wandering and eventually it settled on full scale, where
it stayed for the duration. Can I only have one direction pot work at a time?
The universe must be sending me a profound message. But I have no idea what it
might be.