[3830] CQWW CW K0RF M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 26 10:51:43 EST 2018

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K0RF
Operator(s): AA0RS AD1C K0AV K0RF K4EA K7NV KV0Q W0UA W0ZP W1XE
Station: K0RF

Class: M/M HP
QTH: co

  160:  259    29       91
   80:  748    32      110
   40: 1340    38      146
   20: 1910    37      150
   15:  286    27       81
   10:   24     5        4

Wow! That was the first M/M that we have done since the fire in 2015, Most
everything worked. We have done other classes during the last 3 years to try and
get the station up and back in running condition but this was the first all-up
test. I sure love the excitement of having all the operators going full steam.

There were a number of surprises, most good. The low bands, (and I mean low, 80
and 160) were fabulous. Forty and 20 were OK. But, on the other end of the
spectrum, 10 and fifteen were as poor as I have seen them.

The 160 expert, AA0RS, sat with butt in chair both nights and set a new
high-water mark for 160 here. Being a 160 enthusiast myself, 91 countries on top
band really excited me.

Eighty was manned by Bill, KV0Q who dogged the band relentlessly for another
best K0RF effort. Not only did Bill man the 80 meter station continuously
through the darkness hours, but during the daytime he prepared a special meal,
which he brought up that included fresh ground beef from his son-in-laws ranch,
home-made mac and cheese and apple pie!. Thanks Bill.

Forty was pretty washed out here for most of th normal European running time.
The muf was somewhere south of 40. but, in spite of that, the team of K7NV and
K0AV, help from others, from time to time, made a great score, conditions
considered and there was still lots of DX and fun to be had. Kurt and Alan
extracted almost all the multipliers that were on the band.

Twenty died at sunset both nights. When that happened at the beginning of the
contest, I thought 20 was going to be a bust, but George, W0UA said, "no
worries, we'll make it up running during the day", and that is exactly what
he and W0ZP did. George, the rate master, sat at the left rig and ran at
breakneck speed while Wayne interleaved off-frequency contacts very effectively.
Those two make a super team. I think that actually having rate on both days was
a nice change for George after grinding through the second day of CW SS a couple
weeks ago.

Fifteen was a poor, at best, but AD1C and W1XE managed to take what was the most
meager of openings and grab a really respectable mult total and some volume to
boot. Sticking with the band and keeping both chairs filled throughout the day
takes a lot of tenacity. Their patience was only surpassed by the by the ten
meter operator.

Ten was a bust!! When the whole room screams in delight when K4EA manages the
first contact after 6 hours in the chair, you know that the band is really bad.
The actual 10 meter score remained zero (since the first contact was with NR5M,
a double multiplier, but zero points) for many more hours before a couple South
Americans and a zone 3 were added to complete the band effort. YUK!

W1XE, George; and Jim, AD1C and especially Neal, K4EA are to be commended for
sticking with dead bands and taking advantage of the errant ion that happened to
pass through the ionosphere and make a contact possible.

I had a great time fixing food and occasional station problems. I love this
contest. I've been doing it since I was 17  and am now 76. Some day I'll get it
right.

73,

Thanks for all the QSOs.

Chuck and the gang