[3830] CQWW CW K0EU SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 26 12:04:01 EST 2018

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K0EU
Operator(s): K0EU
Station: K0EU

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: co

  160:   34    10       22
   80:  162    26       78
   40:  509    33      112
   20:  882    36      139
   15:  112    20       58
   10:    1     1        1

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

After missing SS phone due to the flu, I decided to give CQWW CW a shot. I
haven't done a serious entry in this contest since 2014. Even though I got a lot
of rest leading up to the start, I was already feeling beat after the first few
hours. It didn't help that the 20M JA "run" lasted for all of seven
stations before it petered out. Conditions on 40M were OK, but not spectacular.
80M was great, and I was able to work almost everything I could hear.
Same for 160M, until the 160M sloper suddenly developed a problem around 0700Z.
At that point, I decided to bag the contest and went to bed.

I woke up seven hours later, and after having a quick breakfast, checked the
bands. 20M was hopping. I got back on the radio, and things went so well that I
decided to stick it out and see how things went. I ended up taking a handful of
short breaks after that and ended up operating 36 hours. There were never any
spectacular runs, and only one hour exceeding 100 QSO's. This is quite a
difference from the days when 10 and 15 meters were wide open.

I never did figure out the problem with the 160M sloper. I have an inverted V at
90 feet as a backup, but it seems like a dummy load compared to the sloper. I
did manage to work two more mults with it (CO,KH6) but quit trying after that.

Had a very enjoyable stretch on 20M Saturday evening working a bunch of double
mults in SE Asia. Also had a good string of luck snagging numerous Central
Asians (4X,4L,A4,etc) on 40M near the end of the contest. Best surprise was
being answered on 20M by OX3XR as the first responder to CQing on a new run
frequency.

Many thanks to all the ops that went on contest expeditions to some pretty rare
locations. This was the closest I've come to working all zones in one weekend,
missing only zone 34.

73 Randy K0EU