[3830] CaQP W6ML(W6KC) SO(A)CntyExp HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 8 14:52:50 EDT 2018

                    California QSO Party

Call: W6ML
Operator(s): W6KC
Station: W6ML

Class: SO(A)CntyExp HP
QTH: Mammoth Lakes (Mono)

  160:
   80:  150     34
   40:  232     32
   20:  352    160
   15:  164     61
--------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Back in Mono...After operating CQP the last 4 years from my home QTH in LA
County, this year I returned to Mammoth Lakes for another Mono county
expedition.  Since my wife and I both just retired in September we had time to
plan an extended High Sierra vacation and fit CQP in the mix too.

My antennas consisted of dipoles on 80, 20 & 15M plus a 40M Inverted V all
launched to heights of about 60ft in the surrounding pine trees. I only needed a
total of 5 trees to support my wires since I tied the 20 and 15M dipoles
end-to-end to share the same 2 trees. It took me only one extra shot with my
high-powered slingshot to hit the mark on my 5 trees.

All my antennas and equipment worked as expected.  After a first blazing hour of
106 QSOs on 20M CW, I averaged about 52 QSOs/hour for the balance of my time.
When I quit for the night at about 0600 I had a sweep minus MS. I finally got my
sweep on Sunday afternoon when I was tuning on 15M SSB and caught the tail end
of KF5K giving his report to a CA station saying his section was MS.  I quickly
jumped on his frequency and asked if I could work him up 3.  I QSY'd and called
CQ MS and he came right back giving his number 13 in MS. Lucky 13 for me as that
was my only MS QSO.

And thanks to Hank, W6SX for helping us share the bands with minor interference
between our HP stations about 1/2 mile apart in Mammoth Lakes.

73, Jim W6ML (W6KC)

K3S, AL80B Amp, 80M, 20M & 15M Dipoles & 40M Inverted V all at 60Ft plus
8,000ft Above Sea Level