[3830] CaQP K6M M/SCntyExp HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 9 19:16:29 EDT 2018

                    California QSO Party

Call: K6M
Operator(s): K4XU AA5TL AE7EU WN7K
Station: K6M

Class: M/SCntyExp HP
QTH: Modoc

  160:
   80:   201     7
   40:   202    22
   20:   464   185
--------------------
Total:  1081   243  Mults = 58  Total Score = 216,282

Club: CODXC

Comments:

Rainy setup on Friday afternoon. Very windy on Saturday with occasional rain but
we weathered it just fine in the trailer. We had just two operators and two
support personnel: AE7EU was the cook and WN7K was our driver, crew and
spiritual guide.
Conditions on 40m went long quickly so we changed to 80m. It was noisy but more
stable. I went to bed at 0630Z and Rick carried on until 0820. It was worth it
because he finally found VE7MM for our last multiplier. It was the only BC we
got.
Our mast clamp was not tightened securely and we spent a fair part of Saturday
with the beam pointed south before we noticed it. we'd check it every 15 minutes
after that. It was easier to keep turning it than cranking down the tower.
It was amazing how well 15m played. I don't particularly like SSB but went to it
when the CW rate dropped below 30/hr on the idea that, being 'new meat' on SSB I
could get more than 45/hr and more points. SSB activity seemed lower this year.

We all had a great time. Weather Sunday was sunny and warm, which made the
tear-down easy.

Our thanks to the NCCC for a great party. We will see you all in the 7QP in
May.

73, Dick  K4XU