[3830] CaQP K0EJ/6 SOCntyExp LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Oct 10 12:00:21 EDT 2018

                    California QSO Party

Call: K0EJ/6
Operator(s):
Station: K0EJ/6

Class: SOCntyExp LP
QTH: TUOL

   20:  210     4
   15:   59     3
--------------------
Total:  584     7  Mults = 53  Total Score = 93,598

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Some dear friends from back in my submariner days recently moved from the
hustle/bustle of Livermore to Groveland and invited my wife and I to visit their
new digs. I asked if I could bring along a few items to play in the CQP and they
said "well, sure!!". I figured I would celebrate 50 years as a ham and
the TCG 25th anniversary and embrace the TCG Prime Directive and activate TUOL.
Setup was simple using an 80M OCF inverted vee about 30' up and a Yaesu
FT897D/LDG tuner. I also recently purchased a 30' SOTAPole and fashioned a 40M
GP. Didn't seem to make a difference on 40M but helped on 10/15M. QTH was in a
bit of a ravine and antenna ended up oriented E/W so I know I wasn't very loud.
Never could get anything going on SSB but keep the BIC and CW usually gets
through!! Post-contest RBN didn't show many spots so thanks to all who found
me!!
20M was a slow steady slog on Saturday but 80/40 played OK. LDG tuner even got
the OCF to work on 160 - mostly locals but the super ears of NO3M found me as
well! A few sigs on 15M but nothing on 10M. Sunday was different with some good
signals on 15 and a smattering on 10M. Played Saturday straight til 11PM minus
some time off for meals. Got up around 5AM for 3 hours then joined the family
for church and brunch. Finished up the last few hours - happy to hear the 15M
signals.
During the days prior, we did go to Murphys,CA and checked out the Twisted Oak
tasting room...bought a few bottles in case I didn't earn a bottle on my own
(based on scores, probably a wise decision!).
Had a great time - plenty of TCG in the log along with plenty of CCO vying for
the club trophies. Missed ND, SC, MS, MAR, and BC -  Thanks to NCCC for
sponsoring the event. Though we lived in Monterey back in 84-86, never played
the CQP from in-state before -but got an invite to return to TUOL next year.

73,  Mark K0EJ