[3830] NyQP N2ZN SO MobileCW LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 21 10:46:14 EDT 2018

                    New York QSO Party

Call: N2ZN
Operator(s): N2ZN
Station: N2ZN

Class: SO MobileCW LP
QTH:

----------------------------
Total:  317     0       0  Mults = 60  Total Score = 38,040

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

This is another mobile entry in my goal to activate all 62 NY counties during
NYQP.  I still needed four in western NY, and fortunately, I was able to
activate them this year (ORL, NIA, CHA, ERI) in addition to the intervening
counties (GEN, WYO).  Historically, ERI and MON are the two least rare counties,
but I got to them both, anyway. I can literally see GEN from my home, and ORL is
about 5 minutes away from home also.

A few years ago, after doing a mobile multi with NW2K, he suggested I install a
second radio in the car to work a second band while things were slow on the main
band.  Well, it took a while, and some more bugs need to be worked out, but in
car SO2R finally became a reality this year.  With the latest craze being
dual-CQ, I operated in dual CQ mode most of the time I was on.  Too bad the
bands didn't cooperate, since the only time i got real serious rate in 2BSIQ
mode was when 40 was still open a bit and 80 was just starting to open.  But it
does work-this was the test to find out what needs improvement, mostly RFI and
cross band interference.  Even with stubs inline, the antennas are still only
4-5 feet from each other, so this needs to be worked out a bit, especially for
when the sunspots come back and 20 is more usable.

Since this was a one person effort, I could only operate while parked in each
county, so actual on-air time was only about 6-7 hours, and driving between
spots took up the rest of the time. Quite inefficient, but that's the way it
goes sometimes.

Order of county operation: ORL, NIA, GEN, WYO, CHA, ERI, GEN, ORL, MON.

Passed some local landmarks such as the Pembroke TA (twice) and got gas at
"The Rez".

Station:

Yaesu FT-857 + ATAS-120 (20 and 40 meters)
Icom IC-7000 + Hustler mobile antennas (40 and 80 meters).
Green Heron Radio Boss and PC parallel port CW interface.

My old HP laptop with Windows XP and a real serial and parallel port is still
going strong after six NYQP trips and other trips to V3, VP2M, PJ4, and PZ.

Thanks to everyone for all of the QSO's.  I think I only worked one other
mobile, N2CU, and only once at that.

73, Ken N2ZN