[3830] CQWW SSB N4XL SO(A)AB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 28 20:12:36 EDT 2018

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N4XL
Operator(s): N4XL
Station: N4XL

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: SC

  160:    2     2        2
   80:   30     8       20
   40:   73    16       42
   20:  252    25       88
   15:  165    22       73
   10:   11     5        9

Club: Swamp Fox Contest Group

Comments:

Part time effort this year. Put together a SO2R station. Decided to finish it
before jumping into the contest. Didn’t get done until 1600z Saturday so
missed a lot of good DX at the beginning. Since couldn’t be competitive,
everything was new, unsure of how to do SO2R, how to use N1MM to control the
rigs, and just general curiosity in how it all worked I wasn’t very focused
during the time I did operate either. Spent a bit of time playing with settings
and reading manuals instead of spinning the VFO. Took many breaks too to play
with the dog which made the wife happy! And for the first time in almost 10
years I took 6 hours off Friday night and slept.

Good to work John, W4IX, running W0RIC. He's left SC and moved to AZ. Miss
contesting with the "Contest Monster".

Without an amplifier the low bands weren’t very friendly. I was pleasantly
surprised at breaking the FR4, 6W1 and 7Q6 pileups. And thank you AH2R for
coming back.  I couldn’t believe it. You were so weak here the S-meter
didn’t even flicker. Also glad for the Sunday afternoon JA opening on 20.

Maybe the political divisions in the news has made me too used to disagreeable
people, but I thought a couple times it seemed people were mostly being
respectful to others this contest. I didn’t notice much intentional QRM or
people talking out of turn. Thank you, fellow Hams!

Still a few kinks in the SO2R setup to work out. For the most part it worked
fantastic! The only place I heard the second radio was when one was on 10 meters
so the Filtermax IV bandpass filters doing a great job for me. Even then the
noise from the other transmitter was less interference than came from band QRM.
I’m very pleased with the Hamation-Array Soutions equipment and microHAM
micro2R. Biggest issue is every hour or so something knocks the communications
offline with the IC8 integrated controller. All antennas go offline and it takes
about 5 seconds to reset. Lost a couple q’s because of that. Thinking it must
be something in the computer causing a temporary com port conflict, but I
didn’t see what it could be yet. I’m not too smart about that stuff.

Thanks to all.

Kevan
N4XL

TS590SG & TS590S
Bencher Skyhawk at 50 ft
520 ft horizontal loop at 25 ft for 160 thru 10.
40/80 elevated vertical
K9AY was down this time.