[3830] CQWW SSB WB8WKQ SOSB10 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 28 22:45:26 EDT 2018

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: WB8WKQ
Operator(s): WB8WKQ
Station: WB8WKQ

Class: SOSB10 HP
QTH: MICHIGAN
Operating Time (hrs):

   10:  60     9        17
------------------------------
Total:  60     9        17  Total Score = 4,212

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

When I told my buddy, K8BKM, my plan to work 10M solo, his response was
"What are your smoking?".   Very true.  Bottom of the sunspot cycle
with a band presumed to be dead.  But my philosophy was, I'm just going to be a
number in a contest I have no reason competing in. Is there some obscure way, I
can be competitive in a category no one thinks much about?  Well, my plan was to
work 10M solo and see if I could make a run.  I saw previous years, and the Q
count just kept dwindled as the sunspot cycle followed suit.  I saw the winners
(USA) were guys in the south, that probably had great signals into South America
and the Caribbean.  I thought, maybe, if there is a nice European opening, along
with traditional SA/Caribbean, I might have a chance.  Well, no such luck.
South America and the Caribbean, were very good on Saturday between 2 and 5 pm
local.  Sunday was a complete bust, with only a specific opening to Chile in the
late afternoon.  Anyway, this was my attempt to go against the grain and try
something much different.  Although I wasn't smoking anything, I do agree with
my buddy's assessment of my ideas.  It was still pretty cool thinking outside of
the box, so to speak.