[3830] CQWW SSB ZF1A M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 28 23:21:21 EDT 2018

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: ZF1A
Operator(s): N6MJ N6WIN KI6RRN KI6SMX KK6NON JH1NBN
Station: ZF1A

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: ZF

  160:   176    13       27
   80:  1241    24       87
   40:  2910    29      116
   20:  3798    30      114
   15:  2242    33      106
   10:    79    11       26
-------------------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

A big thank you to Andrew, ZF1EJ, and CARS for allowing us to operate the
contest from his home QTH on the beautiful island of Grand Cayman.

Originally Yuki, JH1NBN, was going to operate this contest as a M/S with Joe
W6VNR.  Joe did this contest from ZF for many years.  Unfortunately Joe passed
away earlier this year.  He will be missed.  I reached out to Yuki to see if he
would like to team up with us and he was kind enough to allow us to join him.
As we started to form the team, we decided to do a M/2 so we could invite some
of the younger members of the club.  Axel KI6RRN, Adams KI6SMX and Levi KK6NON
are all low 20's or younger and were a big part of the team.  It was nice to be
able to involve some of the younger operators and give them a chance to operate
from the DX side.

This was our first time operating from ZF1A as a M/2 in CQWW SSB.  Most everyone
was here for the first time.  There was a ton of work to get done before the
contest started.  Luckily most of the operators were able to arrive either on
Monday or Tuesday before the contest to get everything done.  John K6AM wasn't
able to join us onsite but he was on call as our technical advisor.  He helped
design the station layout and was able to walk us thru all the problems we
encountered.

We were very fortunate to be sponsored by Icom. We were able to operate with 3
IC 7610's and everything worked great even in the tough multi op setting. In
addition to that, Vibroplex allowed us to use the new Inrad W1 headsets for the
contest. The headsets were a big hit and everyone was happy with their
performance.

The biggest project was building and installing a C31XR that N6WIN donated to
the station.  It took many long hours but we finally had it up and running
Friday morning.  One of our team mates, Scott K7ZO, was unable to make it at the
last minute.  Fortunately he was still a valuable asset to the team and without
his input we wouldn't have been able to get everything done.  Hopefully he will
be able to join us next year.

Conditions were great leading up to the contest.  Some of that carried over to
the contest, but 10m was mostly dead other than a short opening on Saturday.  On
Sunday, 15m was a real struggle until the afternoon when it finally opened all
the way.

We hope to be able to come back again next year as everyone really seemed to
enjoy themselves.

Thanks to everybody for the QSO's.

73,

Dan N6MJ