[3830] CQWW SSB W6PH SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 29 11:13:04 EDT 2018

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W6PH

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Lone Pine CA
Operating Time (hrs): 32+06

  160:   14     9       10
   80:   56    16       31
   40:  107    27       67
   20:  511    31      106
   15:  254    27       61
   10:   29     4        5

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

K3 Expert 1.3 amp Wintest 4.11

160 Inductively loaded sloper
80 East and west slopers
40 40-2CD at 60 feet
20 3L yagi at 60 feet
15 5L yagi at 60 feet
10 5L yagi at 48 feet

I had plans to fly back to the NH QTH and drop in on KC1XX.  I decided to stay
in California and I raised all my antennas in the days before the contest.  The
AB577's are perfect for this 76 year old.  The weather was perfect for this with
no wind.

I started out on 15m and had good propagation into Asia and Oceania for about an
hour before hitting 20m.  I checked 10m and no blips on the P3.  After 20m went
out, I spent the night on the low bands.  Eighty meters is tough until after
European sunrise when the Caribbean stations start hearing the west coast.  No
Europeans were worked on 80m but zones 33 and 35 were worked.  Forty yielded a
few Europeans but it was tough.

On both mornings 20m had wall to wall Europeans and the cluster allowed me to
pick out calls that I would not have been able to copy through the QRM.  The
opening lasted about 1 1/2 hours before fading.  Fifteen did not open to Europe
except for some CT stations.  All the contacts were S&P except for running
Asians in the afternoon.  Saturday afternoon did not open to Asia as it did on
Friday afternoon.

I checked 10m often and caught a short opening around noon time on Saturday that
yielded a few PY stations.  On Sunday I caught an opening at 10 am into zones
11, 12, and 13.  It only lasted about a half hour and there were no other
openings that I found.  The P3 is priceless in checking for activity.

I took a number of 2 to 4 hour breaks when I worked out the bands especially
during the nights.

My score is about 10 per cent less than last year.  Mainly because of poorer
conditions on 15m and 10m.  A good weekend.

73, Kurt W6PH