[3830] CQWW SSB UP2L(UA9BA) SOSB80 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 29 18:17:19 EDT 2018

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: UP2L
Operator(s): UA9BA
Station: UN9LG

Class: SOSB80 HP
QTH: Kostanay city Kazakh
Operating Time (hrs): 23:42

   80: 1540    32      111
Total: 1540    32      111  Total Score = 619,619

Club: Ural Contest Group

Comments:

This was a fantastic weekend! I and Oleg R8AA came to Grigori's (UN9LG) place on
Wedn. afternoon. So, we seemed to have plenty of time before the contest to set
the things right. This was wrong assumption. The BIG stations require BIG
caring. Two days and nights before the contest for the big station of UP2L
wasn't enough at all. So, as result I started the contest with uncontrollable
4SQ for the 2 nd TX ant. It was frozen in position to EU. My major TX ant was a
4 ele wire yagi at 40 meters up also fixed on EU. I obtained the direction
switching controll of the 4SQ only on the 2nd day of the contest. Speaking in
general, this was the only obstacle during the contest. Otherwise everything
else went OKay. The CNDX seemed fine. My tactics were simple - call CQ and
listen from two or even three directions (in turn) after EACH CQ to make sure I
didn't miss anyone's attempt in trying to work me. Very few S&P Qs (53 out
of 1540). This worked very well for me.
I enjoyed every moment of this weekend but still there was one that I must
mention in this write up I was calling CQ on Sunday evening my time switching
the 4SQ to North and South in hope for the zone 3 contact at arnd 13:30z.
Finally a "November something" called me with 4SQ beaming North. It
turned out to be my good old friend Pat N9RV. When we established the contact
(Pat must've switched his ant to North as well) we could even chat for a few
phrases back and forth! What a thrill! This story continued after the contest.
Looking through the results here on 3830 I found out an interesting fact. This
QSO for Pat was the only Kazakh QSO in his serious SOAB effort!!!
https://www.3830scores.com/showrumor.php?arg=ppaHzxiivvavl Boy! Do I love this
GAME!!!
So, I want to thank Grigory, the host, for his enormous amount of time amd
effort in keeping up THE BIG station in operable shape! Also my thanks go to
Oleg R8AA who accompanies me in my every contest trip to Kazakh where he helps
out a lot with all preparations for each contesting event. Vlad R9IR deserves a
special mention and a big time THANK YOU as well. He remotely does wonders in
adjusting the SW for each contest.
Also I thank everyone for making it into my log. Sometimes it took a lot of
efforts on both sides!
73! CU in CW leg of the gretest contesting event in Nov. Willy UA9BA