[3830] CQWW SSB VE9CB SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 29 18:44:49 EDT 2018

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE9CB
Operator(s): VE9CB
Station: VE9CB

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: New Brunswick

  160:   41     3        5
   80:  200    14       49
   40:  269    19       75
   20: 2170    27      109
   15:  205    21       72
   10:   48     6       18

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

2017 was a much better year.  My score is less than half of last year's result,
and I made only 2/3 the QSOs.  On the low bands, it was an unusual struggle to
be heard in Europe, and I could never get any runs going.  Twenty metres was
extremely productive.  Despite my best efforts to spend time on the other bands,
20m counted for about 75% of my contacts.  Fifteen metres showed signs of
opening to Europe, but the opening was marginal.  Ten metres was very poor.

Two days before the contest, my 160m Inverted L (about 25 metres or 80 feet
tall) was wrecked by a falling tree.  Friday afternoon before the contest, I
tried to put it back up in high winds and I could only manage to get it up about
40 feet or 12 metres.  Even if I had been successful in retoring my 160m
antenna, it wouldn't have chnaged much.

I discovered that my 40m 4-square will set off my house's smoke alarm when I
transmit to the south-west, so I spent very little time steered towards the US.

So, each contest its own unique experience.

It was great to hear the VP6D ops on 15m.  Thank you for showing up and giving
us all a multiplier we would never, ever expect to work.

It was also great to hear my buddy Ron 6W1SU (aka VE3REV) making another big
effort.