[3830] CQWW SSB WO1N SO(A)AB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 30 23:55:32 EDT 2018

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: WO1N
Operator(s): WO1N
Station: WO1N

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: EMA

  160:    0     0        0
   80:   10     6        8
   40:   15     7       11
   20:   35    11       25
   15:   40    11       31
   10:    0     0        0

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station : FTdx5000, C3-SS at 38', 40Mdipole at 50', 80M Vert-C dipole, N1MM+

 Split operation between my home station and a minimal two station M/M from
K1KP.
Most of my comments relate to operating from Tony's fine station.

 Took the day off and got my wires back up in the air after having removed
them for tree work during the summer but no real improvements other than
getting about another 10' on the top leg of the 80M vertical C.

 From K1KP, we had a bit of a fragmented effort with late sign-ups which, at
least for me, threw off my planning causing a huge error missing the low band
Eu sunrise Sunday morning. I was on the low bands the first night but heard only
3
stateside stations on 160 and could not get a run going on either 80 or 40.
Headed home about 0730Z listening to the Red Sox game wrap up. We thought
we were in a grind ;-).

 Returned Saturday afternoon and set up a fair run on 20 around 1900Z. A good
gaggle of JAs were worked but then things really slowed down once 20 closed.

 After several very slow hours Tony and I threw in the towel. I went home and
watched the Sox game. Big mistake. We both commented Sunday that after the game
the low bands seemed like they were wide open to Europe. Sigh...

 Sunday was OK. I slept in, ground out the last of my hundred Q's from the home
station and headed over to K1KP's about 1630Z. Tony handed me a nice
run on 20. That was a lot of fun. I milked that until the last 4 stations were
zero pointers. Helped a lot of stateside stations through the exchange,
hopefully they show up in future contests.

 We then transitioned the main station to 40M by 1900Z on Sunday and my 2nd
attempt at a run payed off with a 50Q run just above CW/SSB split. Not low
enough that UP0L could set up below me and A44A below him. Speaking of which,
the A44A was probably easily workable but he was too close to the band edge to
work.

 Not our best effort, 1.88M, about 50% of our 2017 effort. Better pre-event
planning would have addressed some of that shortfall but in general conditions
were not the best to say the least.

CU in the next one,

Ken -  WO1N