[3830] TnQP W4NZ Multi-Op MobileCW LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 3 14:34:44 EDT 2018

                    Tennessee QSO Party

Call: W4NZ
Operator(s): W4NZ K4VIG WA4AA
Station: W4NZ

Class: Multi-Op MobileCW LP
QTH: Tennessee

  160:
   80:  146                    42
   40:  607                    44
   20:   37                    16
-----------------------------------
Total:  790     0       0     102  Total Score = 250,840

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

This was the operation that almost did not happen. Until Thursday afternoon I
had no crew. Then I got a message from 2 of my TN Valley DX Assn friends,Paul
WA4AA and Gary K4VIG volunteering to make the mobile run with me. We were in
business! Gary had done this before but it was something entirely new for Paul.
He decided to be strictly a driver/navigator leaving the radio to Gary and me. I
was able to get the mobile ready and checked out by midday Saturday. Our setup
consisted of an Icom 756proIII, a Lenovo laptop, WinKeyer and two Hustler mobile
antennas mounted on the roof of a 2016 Dodge Durango suv. Initally the two
antennas were for 40 and 20m. Around sundown we replaced the 20m antenna with
one for 80m.

In each county we tried to spend time on both available bands. 20m was quite
diappointing but did produce some good multipliers like DL3DXX and KL7SB. As
usual, 40m was the money band. We were hit by Murphy right at the start. A
technical snafu (RFI induced we suspect) caused us to be almost deaf to all but
a few signals. It took about two counties to realize this and correct the
problem. Apologies to everyone for being such an alligator. Our route covered
444 miles taking us through 20 counties.

I've always said that mobiles have the most fun in these QSO parties and this
was no exception. Thanks to the many people who called us again and again from
county to county. Good to work many of the NCCC NS Sprint gang. Ken K6MR you
have an outstanding signal! Thanks to many of the CWOPS who worked us, too.

Until next year,
73, Ted W4NZ for Gary K4VIG and Paul WA4AA