[3830] WAE SSB PJ4DX Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 9 19:58:31 EDT 2018

                    WAE DX Contest, SSB

Call: PJ4DX
Operator(s): PJ4DX
Station: PJ4DX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Bonaire
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:   58    10    84
   40:  117    89    78
   20:  743   824    92
   15:   37     0    30
   10:    1     0     2
-------------------------
Total: 1879   923   268  Total Score = 537,394

Strange conditions this weekend: first night 80m almost completely dead, second
night 80m very good. 40m poor to fair both nights, but not good. 20m excellent
first day but only average second day. Fantastic opening on 15m around 2200 -
2300UTC on first evening, with some Europeans S9+30dB, but hardly any activity
despite several spots saying the band was open. Just the one QSO on 10m, with
M0SDV (thanks Jamie!)

I lost count how many times I was called by US stations, despite calling
"CQ Europe, Europe only". At one time I had a a mini pile-up of USA
stations calling me, completely obliterating the weaker Europeans.

I find the non-contest segments both annoying and illogical. On 40m I can
operate 7060 to 7100kHz yet 7070 to 7080kHz is completely impossible due to S9+
FT8 and other datamode transmissions. Yet I cannot operate 7100 to 7130kHz which
would allow me to avoid the numerous US nets that occupy 7128 - 7200kHz. Can the
contest organisers re-think the 40m non-contest segments?

I enjoy sending QTCs and it's always interesting to hear the great operators
receive all 10 QTCs in super-quick time, even in challenging conditions, whereas
some others seem to struggle to copy anything even with strong signals each way.
QTCs really separate the contest operators from the casual club operators.

Rig: FT-2000 with Acom 1500 amp at 1kW to Spiderbeam at 10m/33ft for 10-15-20m,
40m dipole at 16m/55ft, 80m full-size quarter-wave vertical.

73 Steve, PJ4DX