[3830] ARRL Sep VHF KF2MR/R Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 10 08:30:46 EDT 2018

                    ARRL September VHF Contest

Call: KF2MR/R
Operator(s): KF2MR
Station: KF2MR/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: WNY

  1.2:   35    12
  2.3:   21     7
  3.4:   13     6
  5.7:    4     3
  10G:    7     5
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  324   104  Total Score = 68,300

Club: Rochester VHF Group

Comments:

I activated 4 grids: FN12, FN13, FN02, and FN03.

I was pleasantly surprised by the good level of activity this contest. At times
I was overwhelmed by it and missed some easy local contacts that I should have
been able to make. Every grid produced some nice surprises and lots of microwave
activity. I was thrilled to have another club rover (K2TER/R) active up to 3.4G
with a HUGE signal on the microwave bands. Despite a delay in getting going the
guys finally got on the air and we worked these bands with ease from every
location (including when I was out roving and Bill was in his driveway). I also
worked N2MKT using his new microwave setup and worked K2LDT/R for several 10
band combinations from various locations. Rochester VHF Group seems to be
building up each year and that is great news. While microwave activity is cool,
I was impressed by 222 additions to some local stations, including KD2LGX and
N2BEG who both had really big signals on these new bands. Another very cool
development was activation of a limited multi-op under the callsign W2AN, which
is the Antique Wireless Association here in WNY. I even heard local stations who
have been off the air for years get on to hand out points and chat a bit. Thanks
to Harry W2HRY who came out to meet me for lunch and helped add dozens of
contacts to my log to push me over last years QSO count.

Across Lake Ontario I was able to work VE3OIL/R up to 10GHz on Saturday which
was nice since we have tried this twice before with no luck . It goes to show
that you should still try if you have time. On Sunday I was able to work VA3ELE
on all 10 bands. I think this is the first time ever that I worked a fixed
station on all 10 bands. I later worked VA3ELE on 9 bands in a location I never
thought would be possible. Lots of other microwave capable stations in Canada
added lots of contacts. This includes VE3DS and VE3ZV to name some of the other
big guns! I really enjoy the teamwork from those of us around the Lake.

I admit that after June I was considering skipping this contest. I am really
glad I participated. Well worth the time, money, and effort!