[3830] ARRL 10G+ W0ZQ 10G Plus LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 23 16:18:51 EDT 2018

                    ARRL 10 GHz and Up Contest

Call: W0ZQ
Operator(s): W0ZQ
Station: W0ZQ

Class: 10G Plus LP
QTH: mn
Operating Time (hrs):

  10G:        26            51764
  24G:         7              905
  47G:
  75G:
 123G:
 134G:
 241G:
Light:
-------------------------------------
Total:        33            52669  Total Score = 55,969

Club: Northern Lights Radio Society

Team:

Comments:

The ARRL 10 GHz and Up contest takes place over two weekends.  For the first
weekend in September I participated with the rover group that travelled up and
down the MN North Shore working three other fixed portable groups located across
Lake Superior; two different groups in the UP of MI and one group in Marathon,
Ontario.  On Saturday we made ten stops starting at the Thompson Hill rest stop
above Duluth and ending up within a few miles of the Canadian border just north
of Grand Portage.  On Sunday we reversed this same route.   The weather was
good, no rain, and we experienced the low level lake affect tropospheric ducting
that can happen this time of year and that produces huge signals across the
lake.  The best 10GHz DX for me on this weekend was from Thompson Hill to
Marathon, or 489 km.  On 24 GHz my best DX was on Sunday when we started to see
some lake effect enhancement and was from Split Rock, EN47HF to EN57VK, or 241
km.  On Sunday afternoon the signals on 10 GHz from 300 km away were 30 over S9,
just amazing and lots of fun.   A tip of the hat to Gary, WB0LJC, who led the
organization, to my fellow North Shore rovers, and to the gang in MI and VE3
land.

For the 2nd weekend in August I participated with the fixed (portable) group
that operated from the hill near Monticello, MN, EN35cg.  From there we worked
three different rover packs that were roving around the Red River Valley (RRV)
area in and around Fargo.  Distances worked were from ~200 km to 390 km with
lots of Q's in the 300 to 390 km range.  Fixed stations worked included K0AWU on
his "impossible bearing through the hills and trees" path at 209 km,
K0KFC on 24 GHz at 99 km, and VE4MA on 10G rain scatter at 566 km.   The weather
was extremely warm (OK, hot) with really high humidity with Saturday the worse
of the two days.  None the less it was fun working all the Q's.   Notable
contacts were with K0AWU/R on Saturday with his 700mw at 375 km.  Again, a tip
of the hat to all the RRV rovers as well as to my EN35cg mates who made the two
day long operating event lots of fun.