[3830] WPX SSB N3HEE SO(A)AB TB-Wires LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Apr 1 07:11:59 EDT 2019

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: N3HEE
Operator(s): N3HEE
Station: N3HEE

Class: SO(A)AB LP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: Maryland
Operating Time (hrs): 30:29

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was my first serious attempt at a WPX contest. My initial intention was to
get on and play around and make a few Q's for the club. I have a tough time with
SSB contests even with good antennas.

I lost my tall support tree and suffered antenna damage from a recent wind storm
that left me with VERY low wire antennas and no antennas for 20-10 or 160
meters. Friday afternoon I put up a temporary dipole for 20-10 meters on a push
up mast that I mounted to my back deck.

I was watching the online contest scores and noticed I was doing well enough
after the first night to turn this into a more serious operation.  Thanks to
GM0OPS for motivating me to keep pushing on.  We were in a very close race the
entire contest!

The first night I just played around and managed to put some 3 and 6 pointers in
the log.  Enough to make it interesting I guess because I stayed up to 3AM local
time. Got back on the air at 9AM Saturday morning (too late to work VK's on
40M)so I started working 20 meters. That is no fun with 100 watts and poor
antennas !  I managed to put quite a few 3 pointers in the log during the day on
Saturday.  The weak opening on 15 meters to SA on Saturday afternoon made it
fun.

The second night was much better on 40 and 80 meters. Excellent conditions on 80
and 40 meters. I was surprised how many 6 pointers I put in the log. I also had
a nice run of locals on 80 meters which was fun.

I got up earlier Sunday morning and was able to work a handful of VK's on 40
meters. They were surprisingly strong. That was fun ! Sunday afternoon I enjoyed
the nice opening to SA on 15 meters.  I even made a few contacts on 10 meters
which was fun.

I wrapped up the contest Sunday evening with a fun run on 80 meters (I got
spotted) putting a few new multipliers and 6 pointers in the log.

Thanks to those who spotted me during the contest! That really helps put
contacts in the log. Many thanks to the DX stations for the patience required to
put me in their logs.

Flex 6600M and Wires.  Thanks -Joe N3HEE