[3830] WPX SSB UA9BA SO(A)AB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Apr 1 13:08:55 EDT 2019

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: UA9BA
Operator(s): UA9BA
Station: UA9BA

Class: SO(A)AB QRP
QTH: Karataban MO04uq
Operating Time (hrs): 12:40

Club: Ural Contest Group

Comments:

Station used:
IC-756PROIII, 5 Watts on RSM-600 while whistling into the mike,

multi-band ant on a 31 m high tower - 2 fullsize el yagi on 40m, 5 el yagi on
20m, 6 el yagi on 15m, 6 el yagi on 10m, extended boom of the multi-bander is
gamma matched on 80m to act as a rotating dipole (see the picture  on my QRZ.com
page), a lazy sloper on 160m (read about it https://dxnews.com/ua9ba-160m/ ).

Now I wonder how is it possible to work over 1000 QSOs on phone in WPX from
hereabouts while running honest QRP. My answer is "No WAY!"

I was sure happy and amazed to have accomplished  the following SA, NA and OC
QSOs:

PR7AA (40m)
NN2DX (20)
VE9CB (20)
PJ4K  (20)
P40L  (20)
KM7W  (20)
K3ZO  (20)
WA1Z  (20)
ZM4T  (40)
KH7XS (20)
KQ2M  (20)
NN3W  (20)
K3LR  (20)
VE3EJ (20)

It took hundreds of calls at a dozen+ attempts both days to have in the log one
biggie. I found out after the contest they were just training younger generation
:-). Many US big guns never made its way into my log, I spent 6 hours both
evenings to have worked those above...

Frankly speaking I wasn't maximazing my effort. I just wanted to have some fun
and learn something new like the smell of the true QRP and I sure got a clear
idea of its smell now. So, no one will fool me about it now.

On Sunday I paid a visit to my friend Damir RK9AX at his big station (70 km to
North from me) and played around the big gun way as RQ9A for little under 2
hours (actually 1:45) on 20m with some 400+ logged QSOs. I only earned 3 spots
during that session, but, BOY! Was that 2 hour pile up big!!! Simply too big
after 30 hours of QRPing :-))

TKS all for QSOs! CONGRATS to the real DXs that were able to log me! You guys
sure deserved your own line in this posting :-))).

73! Willy UA9BA