[3830] WPX SSB WX3B M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Apr 1 13:41:05 EDT 2019

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B W3MMM WR3R ND3D N8IVN NH7C W3RCO KC3RW KB3WAV N3VOP
Station: WX3B

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Maryland

   40: 1800

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

For a low sunspot year, our team had a great time in this contest!!

First, a hearty congratulations to the team at KL7RA!!  We knew you were
multi/multi, and I was wondering how you were doing throughout the contest.
What an incredible effort!!

Hats off to my usual team competition at K1TTT (NE1C) who also out-scored us
this year.  We were glued to the scoreboard, and each time we thought we were
gaining on you, your team answered by increasing the lead.

Congratulations to Ken and team Radio Oakley (NR6O) who kept trading places with
our score until the band opened for us on Sunday.  You kept us on our toes all
weekend long.

There were some fantastic single-op scores from all over the world, and several
of the domestic single-op scores beat our team multi-op score this year!

Did you see Team Exuberance's score at K3LR???  Holy cow, they're not far off
the M/M record during the HIGH sunspot years!!  What an incredible job by a
super-talented group of young operators that have quite a future in contesting.
Thanks to Tim K3LR for providing his world class station and opportunity for the
young team.  It was fun tuning the bands and hearing them on all weekend.  The
young team did a noble job spotting stations, too!!

Our results this year were similar to last year's results.  We improved on the
low bands.  We reached a new high number of QSOs on 40. We had a tough time
gaining traction on 20 this year - 15 was way down from last year, and so was
10!!

It was a banner year for welcoming new team members to WX3B.  Ray and Kerri
Wright are a husband and wife team with some contesting experience via their
field day participation as well as passion for activating parks on the air.
They recently joined PVRC and with N3VOP's encouragement and WA3AER's
recommendation, they manned 20 meters Friday night and a good portion of
Saturday. Kerri also got a lesson in doing hard time at WX3B by being on 15
meters for many hours, working every possible last QSO she could.

It was also Rico, W3RCO's first time in a multi-operator / multi-transmitter
contesting environment.  Rico was successful in working a nice assortment of
Europeans on the band.  So far, WX3B may hold up to a credible 160 result in the
USA for this contest.   I'll have to check to see if Rico helped us reach a new
RECORD SCORE for WPX SSB on 160!!  (Kudos to Jeff VY2ZM's whopper single-band
160 score this year).

The team regulars Jay W3MMM, Gary WR3R, Bob ND3D, Dennis N8IVN, Sid NH7C did
their usual excellent job keeping things active at WX3B.  We welcomed veteran
Mike N3VOP back after several years of absence.

It was another contest where we all enjoyed the new Icom IC-7610 radios.  They
have become a team favorite, we used the noise reduction and the noise blanker
to our advantage this weekend.  A trusted resource reported that the 7610's had
the best reported SSB audio of our entire collection of radios this year!!

Many thanks to all of you, around the US and around the world that continue to
call us and SPOT US (can never have too many spots) year after year, making this
SUCH a fun contest!

73,

Jim   WX3B