[3830] WPX SSB K9CT M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Apr 1 19:02:41 EDT 2019

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: K9CT
Operator(s): AB9YC WT2P KD9LSV K9CT NJ9R K9QQ W9YES
Station: K9CT

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: IL

   40: 1836
   20: 1351

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Slow start as the storms moved in just as the contest started. Rained for hours
with a 3 inch accumulation. The rain static and lighting QRN made for some slow
times. After that, things started to improve for us.

We had three new operators on the team this year, Relu, NJ9R, Connor, KD9LSV and
David, W9YES. Both Connor and David are Bradley University students and members
of their ham radio club. Connor stayed the entire 48 hours and did some serious
contesting! David had a senior project that needed his attention and just stayed
for a few hours. They all contributed to the team effort and we appreciate their
time at the station.

Prop seemed slower for us in the first 15 hours or so. After that, we had better
luck with QSO rate and multipliers. Like others have noted, the bands were
crowded and there was little wiggle room to run.

We tried something new this time. We were using an Alpha software version of
FlexRadio V3.0 for multiFlex. This allowed us to use two Maestros on one 6600
per station into a PGXL amplifier. This is no different in one respect  from
having two radios interlocked, but only one radio to do the same thing. The main
advantage was that we could interleave on the same stack and listen on a RX
antenna full duplex giving us more gain. We would have to use outboard relays
with any other setup to do the same thing. (Note that it would be easy to remote
any of the clients)

Congratulations to Team Exuberance at K3LR for doing a fantastic job in M/2.

Thanks for the QSOs and we look forward to seeing you in the WPX CW weekend.

73, Craig K9CT