[3830] WPX SSB N5JJ SOSB20 TB-Wires LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Apr 1 21:21:01 EDT 2019

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: N5JJ
Operator(s): N5JJ
Station: N5JJ

Class: SOSB20 LP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: Alvin,  Tx.
Operating Time (hrs): 21:07

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

Tried to make a semi serious effort for this one.  My goal was to get 600 q's
and beat last years score which I did on both accounts.  Conditions were pretty
good on Friday night as I was able to work stations past 10:00 P.M. local time.
Returned about 7:30 A.M. Saturday to a EU wall of qrm and with only 100 watts
did little damage.  Went back to sleep and came back about noon and conditions
were much better but Europe was no longer on the band.  Had a good opening into
S. America and was able to catch most stations there.  Also worked a few JA's
but not too many.  Think I worked all the KH stations.  Always look for KH7XS
and a few others.  Came out later on Sunday morning and worked a bunch of Eu.
Amazed I can work anybody with just 100 watts with all the power hogs on the
air.  Had some decent runs and other times called and called to nothing.  By
late Sunday all I could find on search and pounce were dupes.  Also surprised I
did not hear any local ops.  Did work the station in Brenham and a couple of
stations around Austin.  Also heard a station in Italy work my friend in east
Texas and then I worked him and my friend (W5DAC) heard the Italian station work
me.  Needless to say our phones lit up about that time!  Never was able to hear
my friend tho.  Really had a good time but I still prefer the cw WPX contest.
Seems the ops are a little more courteous.  Did meet some very nice people and
thank you to everyone who called me.  Hope to see everyone again in the next
one.  73!  Rig is FTDX 9000D and antenna is Force 12 C-31 up 40 meters.  All
worked great!  Can't beat Force-12!