[3830] WPX SSB 9A73A(9A1UN) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Apr 4 05:29:13 EDT 2019

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: 9A73A
Operator(s): 9A1UN
Station: 9A1P

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Tican, JN65vg

   40: 1423

Club: Croatian Contest Club

Comments:

Still waiting to get the land for new 9A1P qth.
Missing WPX was not an option so I ran the contest from old 9A1P ruins.
Single 18 meters high tower, 3el 40m yagi on top, old klm kt34xa 4 meters below
both could only be rotated manually by ropes (KLM on sidemount only 300-40degs).
80m Single 1/4wl wire hanging below KLM sloped to ground with 2 elevated
radials.
Contest started great with a 180q/h on 40m with USA.
As the sun was setting over USA so the band was closing with MUF gettin below
7MHz. Switched between 80/40 until sunrise than kept running EU on 40m till
09z which I tought was more productive than running mostly singlepointers on
20m. Took a 6h pause and I was back at 15z ready for some US runs, but when I
rope turned the KLM the swr somehow went up, there was probably some interaction
with the tower and sidemount. Tried to run 20m but there was no
chance to get any run nor keep the freq. I felt like a QRP.
Tought about quitting but than instead moved to 40m and ran EU/AS mix
with a lot of south east asian 6 ptrs and few JA's calling in. At 20z went out
to turn the beam to NW and kept running states until band went down again at
around 01z. Decided to go for another 6h pause almost 4 hours earlier than
planned. 08z Sunday, 16h straight hours till the end I had only 100 qso on 20m.
Still kept 40m with 2 120q/h EU hours than I ran out of callers. At 10z started
the 20m struggle until 16z with slow 70q/h rates, 17z again tried some 40m but
the bottle seemed empty. After sunset went to 80m and managed somehow 2 100q/h
hours of EU 2ptrs. Went on 20m for a mulyplayer trip and found the band wakeing
up instead of dying.
With most of the eastern guys cut off I could somehow run US with the broken ant
and managed 3 more clean US hours. Back to the 40m madness for last US run and
it was it.
SO1R - 3 coaxes, one semi broken ant what to say

I love this game!

73 Dave 9A1UN