[3830] WPX SSB NW6P(W9KKN) SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Apr 5 21:10:28 EDT 2019

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: NW6P
Operator(s): W9KKN
Station: NW6P

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: CA

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: NW6P
Operator(s): W9KKN
Station: NW6P

Class: SO Unlimited HP
Cabrillo Category: Single-Op All-Band Assisted One-Transmitter HP
QTH: CA

  160:    0     0
   80:  206    58
   40:  503   190
   20:  725   306
   15:   39    10
   10:   14     5
-------------------
Total: 1487   569  Total Score = 1,528,334

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

In loving memory of my grandmother Etta Bunger, K9HHQ, who became a silent key
Friday before the contest at the age of 93. She was married to the original
W9KKN, Dean Bunger, who became a silent key in 2001. She had a wonderful life,
just missing her favorite holiday: April fool's day. She is survived by a
sister, 5 children, 10 grandchildren, 12 great-grandchildren, and 3
great-great-grandchildren. If you've never read my QRZ, both grandma and
grandpa
are responsible for getting me into Amateur radio many years ago.

Sorry for taking so long to post this. Right after the contest, I boarded the 4
hour red-eye to Illinois for a 4-hour drive down to Springfield, we had the
funeral and such and I just sort of forgot about it all week, and now I'm on
the
way back.

Now, onto the details of the contest:

I actually tried to organize a larger multi-single there to possibly go
elsewhere but we didn't have the staffing and as it got closer, it became
obvious that there was no way I could get out of showing up at the office
Friday. I had a few invitations to operate a few different places, but I was
pretty confident that I was good for a megapoint or two on my own from NW6P, so
I went that way.

>From this don't try this at home file: I, unfortunately, started to come down
with a severe head cold right before this started and was not only feeling
terrible but completely lost my voice -- and it only went downhill from there.
Several times I'd try to answer someone calling me only to find no modulation
available. A combination of Cepacol and Alka-Seltzer kept me going, but boy was
this a struggle.

Except for a bit of a mystery state that I managed to get the RF-Kit amp into
on
Friday night, the station worked well. I have one Flex Radio in the shop but
have now acquired a spare just in case one of them has to take the special trip
back to Austin, so I had a few settings I needed to adjust. I kind of wanted to
try out the new SSDR 3.0 multi-flex functionality, particularly if we could
have
had a fully staffed M/S, but it wasn't ready in time and N6WM talked me out of
bill-dozing my way into the Alpha.

The report on the bands:
10m ... Opened Sunday(!)
15m ... Almost nothing Saturday, but a good opening Sunday.
20m ... The workhorse, was able to maintain a run frequency for most of the
time. Signals were a bit weak Sunday while 10/15 were moving along. Very weak
openings to JA, and not a lot of activity. Weak EU openings in the mornings,
and
horrible RFI that wiped the band out on Saturday and Sunday morning (Sunday's
lasted through most of what would have been the EU opening.)
40m ... For some reason I really did not get a lot of action from JA overnight
Saturday or Sunday morning. Either I wasn't getting out (I was below 7200), or
there weren't as many of them on the air. Very small EU openings in the early
evening too.
80m ... Managed to get into AF and JA at least once or twice, but no meaningful
DX, mostly ran NA stations and pulled as much of the Carribbean.
160m ... We dont have the antennas for that NW6P yet :)

Considering my physical condition, I felt surprisingly comfortable with SO2R
SSB
this time around (Every time I try I getting a little better at it) it seemed
work smoothly and reliably and my QLF rate was low. Lost my QRG a few times due
to delays on the other 'radio' but was able to recover quickly.

I think I probably could have squeezed quite a bit more out of this one if I
were feeling better, but overall, happy with the score all things considered. I
think the RFI cost me quite a bit of EU mults as did the pronounced lack of
activity in Asia. I'm also going to totally steal N7MH's sleep schedule next
time.

Thanks to Tom for use of the station (and staying as far away from me as
possible during this one.)

Thanks for the Q's everyone see you in the next contest and hopefully even
Visalia!

73, Bill/W9KKN