[3830] MoQP K3WJV SO Fixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Apr 8 02:50:29 EDT 2019

                    Missouri QSO Party - 2019

Call: K3WJV
Operator(s): K3WJV
Station: K3WJV

Class: SO Fixed HP
QTH: PA

  160:
   80:   12      5
   40:   30     21
   20:   50     21
----------------------------
Total:   92     47      0  Mults = 56  Total Score = 13,236

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

My 2nd time doing this QP, did it last year but only a few hours for 55 Q's.
Even though I had fun the sigs from MO especially the mobiles were variable in
strength.  There were 2 stns that just kept calling CQ and never heard me.  And
I understand you guys in the middle of the USA hear much different than I do
here in PA, hi.  I had to battle trying to time a couple Q's with a loud rtty
stn on the same freq or 7040 with digital so I know you hear things differently
in your headphones.  But that's the way ham radio works, not my first rodeo.

I even switched between 3 clusters I had filtered to hear USA and all 3 never
picked up K0i consistently if at all but watching the funspot website let me
know when some stuff was on.  Some of that stuff was not readable here.  I
missed a few counties there.  I also checked the planned activations of the
mobiles and missed a lot there.  I would like to thank the portables &
mobiles for making most of these QP's enjoyable.  I commend you on the effort
involved with activating a big bunch of counties even though I know it might be
as enjoyable for you too.  Mobile operating is one of ham radio's side effects,
hi.

Now for a few stats if you're interested.

Qs per station

QSOs	Callsigns
21      K0i
10	K0R/M W0S W0W
7	N0W/M
6	N0M/M W0U/M
5	K0M
4	K0JPL NW0M WA0I
3	K0O KE0MHJ N0I W0H
2	AD0BI K0DEQ KC0M N0AC/PET N0FY N9BSO NZ0T W0E W0M W0O W0R WA0TTS WZ0W
1	K0GQ KC0CCC KR0RD N0AC/CRL N0AC/LIV N0AC/MOR N0H N0LY N0O/M N5PHT ND9E W0MA
WA0BSW WB0TKL

Missed counties (Activations list):

5   K0i
10  K0R
4   W0U
3   N0M
12  N0W

I may have missed some if not called out on funspot and even if in the n1mm
bandmap might have shown as a dupe until I checked what county they were in if I
could hear them.  Hearing MO from here on 80 is mainly a late afternoon or night
thing, on 40 is tough during the day esp with a mobile signal, and 20 should be
good but 20 fades out the closer you get to sundown here right now.  I listened
on 15 for a few spots but heard nothing.  I did no CQing which may have resulted
in a few Q's and maybe a county or two.  I was watching Phillies baseball both
days and trying to listen in one ear of the headphones during that time.

K0i was mostly sorta marginal but dependable.  If I waited until his sig peaked
up a hair so I knew he was working me it was successful.  Don't know how loud I
was on the mobile end but things are tough enough so I'm turning on the amp, hi.
 I got a few good reports from the portables and always good to bump into Mike,
WB0SND.  I used to do these QP's just cw but was forced to tune up in the phone
bands to get more Q's and counties.  Sacrifices have to be made.

Thanks for a fun contest.  Maybe I can do better next year.  Egad, I hope I
don't resort to going APRS so I can track the mobiles.  73 & don't forget to
look for me in the PA QP, hi. It's in October so lots of planning time left.

Rural wooded location 1255ft ASL

FT1000MP & Acom 2000a
K3/P3 & KPA1500

2el K4KIO 5 band Hexbeam @30ft  G-450A rotor & Green Heron
Inv vees for 40m-80m-trapped 160 @ 55ft

Palstar HF-AUTO    WinKeyer USB & Vibroplex paddle
Rx ant - 200ft NE/SW kd9sv rbog - DXE ncc-2
SO2R >> TopTen DxDoubler-Band Aides-relays-W2VJN stubs
       (not full blown so2r yet - need 2nd beam)

N1MM+ contest logger & DxLab master logger