[3830] FT8 DX N8URE Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Apr 14 18:44:49 EDT 2019

                    FT8 DX Contest - 2019

Call: N8URE
Operator(s): N8URE
Station: N8URE

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: WV

Total:   4  State/Prov = 4  Countries = 0  Total Score = 16

I only tried this contest briefly. I had 4 or 5 broken contacts on 20m, never
getting past sending RRR on my side. I'm not sure if the software was really
sending something else (maybe the problem WK7S was seeing?), if the bands were
bad, or if it's because I was running split and got QRMed. Later on 80m, I
worked on the runner's frequency and had fewer problems, but still some
incomplete contacts.

This is also a problem with the "all or nothing" decoding method of
FT8 for a contest. With RTTY or PSK, sending the exchange a few times makes up
for the decoding errors and can be accomplished before the ionosphere gives out.
Plus the order of exchange is opposite and it's obvious when the runner has
received the exchange and is saying TU.

Anyhow, a lot of strategy here yet to be figured out.