[3830] 222SprngSprnt KR1ST Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Apr 17 13:58:01 EDT 2019

                    222 MHz Spring Sprint - 2019

Call: KR1ST
Operator(s): KR1ST
Station: KR1ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FN21

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

Rig: IC-7300 w/ DEMI L222-28HP & Mirage brick
Pwr: 120W
Ant: 7 ele HB yagi at 20ft

Since this was the first time for me to work 222 in any contest, I can honestly
say it was my best score ever. I had no idea what to expect, but the lesson
learned is that I need to add CW to my repertoire. FT8 proved to be a struggle
because of multipath distortions. It's a little sad to see when a S9 signal
would not decode after many tries. I was tempted to switch to voice to complete
the QSO but was afraid that pitch forks would be thrown my way. Since I could
see most signals just fine, I wondered if Feld Hell would be a more productive
mode, or perhaps use tones to write text on the waterfall as you sometimes see
on a PSK31 signal. Heck, visually decoding CW would have been more productive.
:)

I hope to have a better antenna by the next contest. Thanks to everyone for the
Q's and being patient with me.

73,
--Alex KR1ST (FN21fk)

 Band   Mode  QSOs     Grd