[3830] FlQP N4CW Cnty Exped LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Apr 29 20:46:18 EDT 2019

                    Florida QSO Party - 2019

Call: N4CW
Operator(s): N4CW W4TMO
Station: N4CW

Class: Cnty Exped LP
QTH: FL

--------------------
Total:  2023    0  CW Mults = 58  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 469,336

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Expedition Mode: "This Category is for those entrants who erect a temporary
antenna." That's what we did: at each stop I'd first get out of the car,
take out the home-made mast mount (a large L-bracket made of 2"X12"
and 2"X6" boards)and guide Jim to drive over it. Then we'd assemble
the telescoping mast (30 feet or so tall, mount it on the mount, hoist the
antenna to the top (a non-resonant doublet about 24 feet each side of the center
insulator), then go tie off the ends of the guys (usually a nearby tree, sign,
bush, whatever... we even brought some bricks in case we had no tie-down
"anchors"). Then I'd jump into the passenger seat and operate. The K3
was on the dashboard along with the WinKeyer. The laptop and paddle were in a
serving tray on my lap. That's how I'd operate...a little crowded  in Jim's 2006
Prius!!!
When the rates would fall, I'd switch band and operate 'til that band dried up.
Then we'd shut down, take down the antenna, stow the mast and mount and drive to
our next operating point. I believe we did a total of 18 counties, 16 were
county lines and two were distinct counties. Some county-line-to-county-line
"trips" were well over an hour long...that cuts into your score!
Statistics: stations and Q's over two days:
K3WJV - 30
K1GQ   - 26
VA3DF  - 24
VE3NNT - 24
NE9U  - 23
N8II  - 22
NA8U  - 21
VE3KZ  - 21
Number of Q's by states/provinces:
ON	219
PA	147
MI	140
OH	112
TN	85
MA	81
Our Ontario neighbors were exemplary in consistently finding and working us! We
did work some DX, and a great surprise working KL7SB three times, giving him six
mults (and Q's--all were on county lines.)
We had a most enjoyable time touring various counties and working so many fine
operators. We did try SSB, but found it miserably unproductive, so we decided to
 not count the ten (eight on 40 and 2 on 20)SSB Q's and four mults, going for a
"CW only" posting.
It was a fun weekend, intense work setting up, operating, then taking it down
and moving to the next spot in our plan. The trips helped to relax us a bit. Jim
did all the driving! Thanks to the FQP