[3830] 222Up N0URW Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Aug 6 20:42:49 EDT 2019

                    ARRL 222 MHz and Up Distance Contest - 2019

Call: N0URW
Operator(s): N0URW
Station: N0URW

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:

  1.2:   1
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
------------
Total:  22  Total Score = 10,538

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Thank you ARRL for sponsoring this Test

  Reflections:

             I thought this would be a good time for testing WSJT FT8 digital
mode on the 222 and 432 bands. After all, isn't that what it's all about. Trying
new things. By using the FT8 EU-VHF contest mode, it would generate the needed 6
digit grid square required for this test. I thought about testing FT8 up on 1296
also, but in my neck of the woods,(corn fields) it is hard to find anyone that
even has 1296. I know, I know, CW is the main mode for this weaker than weak can
you hear me now test. But hey, that's been around for years, time to try
something new. Since this is pretty much an East coast contest due to the higher
population of Hams to work. Here in the corn fields of the Midwest, There is no
reason to put in a full time effort. I mean what would be the point. You work
all the stations within 250 miles that have these upper bands and your done. So
I try to plan other ham radio related things to do.

 Goals:  If you don't set up a goal. You can't tell yourself you did a good
job.
        This year my goal was to make 20 contacts. I made 22, Good Job !

  Saturday:  Band conditions were just as bad this year as last year. Noise when
pointing North on 222 MHz was unbelievable. Several of my regular contacts up
North were never heard all weekend. With all this noise I'm not going to hear
any weak signals pointing north. There was nothing out past 250 miles in any
direction.
Very few on the ON4KST website close enough to even ask to point my way. And as
someone pointed out. It was a contest to see who could type the fastest as the
chat page was really rolling by. After asking and being ignored on the chat page
several times for FT8 contacts on 222 or 432,
 I went to Twit TV.com to watch the latest Ham nation episode. Another good
show. Worth my time. Thanks Bob & crew, love the show.
 So after hours and hours of calling CQ in all directions with only a handful of
contacts logged. It was time to call it a day. That's about right for 250 miles
or less. NO rovers were heard or worked on Saturday.
WSJT FT8 worked great and contacts were very easy to make, just very few had
their station set up to try FT8 on these bands.   Golly gee wiz, I hope Sunday
is better.

  Sunday: The day started out slow. Most of the noise to the North was gone on
222.
             Unlike the ARRL VHF contests in June where you find several on the
bands very early. (4 to 5 AM) This one must have a start time after 8 AM. On the
ON4KST website, I managed to find a few stations out in the 250 to 450 mile
range. I noticed band conditions were still not very good. I saw several asking
to try CW on these 250 to 450 mile distances.  Some made the contact, some
didn't. I asked these distant stations if they could run FT8. Again some just
ignored me. My guess is they either don't have it, don't use it, doesn't think
it will work or have never heard of FT8. Those that said yes lets try, contacts
were made and logged.
Those that said sorry, but no FT8 here. Lost out on easy contacts worth a lot of
points. FT8 is a very powerful tool. It can make a contact when other modes like
Cw can't. I pulled the plug with about one hour left in this test. Just wasn't
anyone left within range out there to work.
 And yet a 2nd day without any rovers heard or logged.

           Station Setup this year.

222 MHz = Icom 7300 to DEM 222 transverter, 1 KW tube amp, 1 x 15 el. yagi at
50'
432 MHz = Icom 9100, 800 watt tube amp, 1 x 28 el. yagi at 55'
1296 MHz = Icom 9100, 600 watt W6PQL amp, 2 x 24 el. loop yagi 60'

         The rest of the story
Tower #1 that would have my 4 bay arrays of UHF antennas on it was down for
repair.
         I put up a temporary set up just to get on for this fun test.
         I expect more will have FT8 working on these upper bands by next year.
         I have the power and antennas to make several 1296 contacts now. But I

         seem to be the only one.
         You can hear me, but I can't hear you. Out here in corn country 10
watts
         just doesn't cut it.
         The noise level is just too high. 50 watts on your end at 250 miles was

         right on the edge.

                  Always Looking Forward
                  73, N0URW EN41go