[3830] 222Up VE3CRU/R Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Aug 8 10:45:51 EDT 2019

                    ARRL 222 MHz and Up Distance Contest - 2019

Call: VE3CRU/R
Operator(s): VE3CRU
Station: VE3CRU/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: FN03/04/EN93/04
Operating Time (hrs):

  1.2:  10
  2.3:   0
  3.4:   1
  5.7:   0
  10G:   0
  24G:   0
------------
Total:  41  Total Score = 11,692

Club: Rochester VHF Group

Team: Lake Ontario Group

Comments:

This contest ended with a better score than expected, while half of last year's
score.  Thanks Andrea K2EZ/R for letting me score higher, but your qso rate per
hour much better than mine.  Due to excessive heat preceeding the contest I did
not fully equip the Rovermobile.  More lower down.

On Saturday, running at FN04na, I did well and gave VE3DS his first qso for the
grid on 3456. 2304 nothing heard.  Moved to FN03nx, got half the qso's and no
3456 qso with VE3DS.  Found a blown fuse in 3456 amp power supply and no spares
found, loss of more X10 mults.  No qso's on 2304 either anywhere.
Elevations 1100 fasl in 04 and 950 in 03.

Sunday a trip to EN93wv elevation 1750 fasl and had a good run, then to EN94wf
same elevation for 6 qso's.  Missing both days was any dx qso's in any
direction, prop poor.  Rover qso's with KF2MR/R and W2EV/R thanks for going
out.

Highest antenna was at 9 feet.  Setup and lack of .......

222 - 100W FM Horiz to 6 elmt cheap yagi at 8 feet off vehicle on a stand.
Was not able to install usual 16 elmt K1FO top performer.  222 transverter was
installed and cabled but failed to install a ProII or ProIII for ssb and
bandscope gain.
432 was 75W from 910H to 22 elmt K1FO at 7'
902 was modified Kenwood FM 20W to 33 elmt looper, had 903 tvtr but used
    817 as IF on 3456, no IF switch installed.
1296 was 8W barefoot from 910H to 55 looper.
2304 was h/b rig (not by me) barefoot 1W to pair of 45 loopers horiz stacked
3456 was tvtr /amp combo 20W to 45 looper.

The rotator failed so steering wheel used to line up, crude.

I do not use assistance of ON4KST for qso's nor internet or other rovers in
close proximity.  Independence works fine for me.  Some rovers say this contest
is not good for rovers.  In truth, it is excellent for properly
equipped rovers, as we are to work as many contesters as possible and not just
do grid corner manipulation.  This corrects the flaw in vhf contests.

I maintain that a high gain antenna at low elevation will always beat a low gain
antenna up high. Off my soapbox now.

Thanks to the ARRL and support team for providing this well planned revision to
the old UHF contest, their support staff, and to all who participated and made
it a fun event.

See you in September.

73,

Bill   VE3CRU/R