[3830] OhQP K8MR Mobile LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 25 13:17:09 EDT 2019

                    Ohio QSO Party - 2019

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR K3LA
Station: K8MR

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: 27 Counties

   80:  499      2
   40:  167     16
   20:  137      6
   15:    5      1
   10:    2      0
--------------------
Total:  810     25  CW Mults = 91  Ph Mults = 6  Total Score = 159,565

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

A beautiful day to be driving around Ohio with long time friend K3LA. A good
thing it was not a hot day, as the A/C in the 2007 minivan is dead with an
estimate of $2500 to fix it, i.e it ain't getting done.

Unfortunately neither were the bands hot. 40 was long, with nobody closer than
Tennessee being loud. For the first few hours I had better results on 20 than on
40, an unusual thing for this part of the country. With few loud signals I
didn't get motivated to more guys to SSB, which requires a pretty loud CW signal
to be able to make the same QSO on SSB. The few times I listened on phone I
heard few signals, and very few guys heard me when I called them on 75M.

80, though even it was odd in the first few hours, came through however, with
well over half the QSOs being there. Top full hour rate was 140 Qs around 0200z,
mostly on 80. The 10/15 QSOs were running the bands with K1LT as we passed
nearby, plus an earlier double on 15 while near NF8O in Carroll county.

The major navigation error was when the back seat driver told the front seat
driver to stay on US23 heading into Columbus until I-70, rather than I-270. So
we ended up with a nighttime tour of downtown Columbus. Nice city, not so nice
radio location. One good traffic delay: a cleanup from an earlier breakdown or
accident on I-71 in Ashland county, allowing much more time there with very good
rates than would have happened in the usual 15 or so minutes there.

Thanks to all who participated. I hope to be out on the roads again for one day
in the Pennsylvania QSO Party in October before migrating south for the winter.

73  -  Jim   K8MR