[3830] ARRL 160 N3HEE SO Unlimited QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 9 06:47:55 EST 2019

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2019

Call: N3HEE
Operator(s): N3HEE
Station: N3HEE

Class: SO Unlimited QRP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 15:20

Total:  QSOs = 388  Sections = 59  Countries = 8  Total Score = 46,669

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Since I didn't have my K9AY receive loops up yet I decided to give QRP a try.  I
must say I am amazed at how many stations I was able to hear and work with only
5 watts using only my transmit antenna. The band was very quiet with only minor
disruptions due to local plasma tv and a new mystery intermittent power line
noise.

In this power category my station is much more competitive. I was in a close
race with WE9R who in the end overtook me. I was out of workable mults and Q's
by 3AM the second night and called it quits. I did not spend much time on the
air Saturday morning as I slept in and I did not get back on the air Sunday
morning for the same reason. My goal going into this contest was 300 Q's and 50
mults which I easily surpassed. I did have a few brief runs which were fun. Most
of my time was spent S&P.

At around 11PM local time Saturday evening there was a brief propagation
enhancement to the west that allowed me to put many needed western mults in the
log which was fun. During that time I was able to work VE6WZ at nearly 2000
miles. I must have called him a dozen times on and off throughout the contest.
This was only possible due to Steve's great 160 meter setup! Another highlight
was working C6AGU at 995 miles in full daylight and well before sunset. I was
really struggling with 6 and 7 land stations. I had a pipeline to New England
and to the South as far as North FL. I could also work 8 and 9 land stations
fairly easily.

Thanks to all who had the patience to put me in their logs!

Flex 6600M at 5W.  Inverted L with K2AV folded counterpoise. Lots of patience,
persistence and perseverance !