[3830] ARRL 10 K1TO SO CW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 15 19:55:33 EST 2019

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2019

Call: K1TO
Operator(s): K1TO
Station: K1TO

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: FL

   CW:  885    60
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  885    60  Total Score = 212,400

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Skipped 2018 after a horrible 2017 and regretted it as FL had good condx
compared to most everyone else.  Looks like a similar occurrence in 2019.

First four hours were better than expected.  Saturday was steady most of the
day, trailing off around 1930Z.  Saturday evening and Sunday were a slog, except
starting at 1630Z when the band suddenly opened well for a few hours with some
very strong signals.

After working just 3 TX through Sunday AM, dozens poured in today.  Only worked
a couple of AZ and NV in W7 and three in CA.  In fact, KH6 called in before I
worked CA.  VK was a nice surprise a little later.  Two EU on Saturday - DL and
CT.  Zero AF.  Neat spotlight opening to MN later on, then just 3 QSOs in the
last 2.5 hours.

Only mult heard and not worked was a VP8 who I heard calling another South
American.

Have a strong S8 noise from the south that affected SA signals quite a bit.
Very few other signals are S from here, but the noise affected all directions at
least a little bit.

Even December contests are sometimes affected by lightning in FL.  A front moved
through Saturday morning, necessitating a half-hour off time.

This weekend reminded me a lot of the contest weekends I've spent on 6M in
recent years where the audience is largely limited by the range of one-hop
E-skip.  It also seemed like activity was muted with many opting to skip a 10M
contest in the sunspot minimum.

Thanks for the QSOs and hope everyone has a terrific holiday season and a
healthy and happy 2020!

vy 73, Dan

FT-1000MP + Alpha 87A to homebrew 6L @ 50'