[3830] ARRL 10 K4HQK SO Mixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 16 12:29:52 EST 2019

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2019

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: Alexandria, VA
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:  53     13
  SSB:   7      3
-------------------
Total:  60     16  Total Score = 3,616

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This one ranged from mildly interesting to coma-inducing. Much BIC required.
While the DX Maps Web page showed lots of sporadic-E activity around the
country, it touched the Mid-Atlantic only a few times, and briefly--at least
that's how it sounded at my QTH using a simple antenna.

Friday night: Mostly locals, fast QSB, meteor scatter that astonished me.

Saturday morning: Same as Friday night plus a little sporadic-E within the U.S.

Saturday midday: About an hour of TEP into central South America. Worked PY and
LW.

Saturday evening: Almost all locals as activity gradually died out.

Sunday morning: Dead as a door nail. Not even any locals!

Sunday midday/early afternoon: Opening to Louisiana around 11am EST; worked
three in a row. Lots of S.A. spots to elsewhere in the U.S., but not here. Heard
PX2A briefly at 3:26pm EST as Caribbean/S.A. was pipelining via TEP into IL, NJ
and LA but again, not to here. Heard TX station at 4:30pm EST and worked two IA
stations around 4:45. Florida QSO at 4:53 EST. Local stations weak and watery.

Sunday late afternoon: All the air had leaked out of the tire; only a few
determined locals remained. QRT 5:15pm EST for a much-needed dinner with wine!

My station: Icom 7410, Ameritron ALS-600 amp, Cushcraft R6000 vertical on a 10'
pole.

73, John K4HQK
Alexandria, VA