[3830] ARRL 10 EB1RL SO Mixed Unlimited QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Dec 18 15:03:51 EST 2019

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2019

Call: EB1RL
Operator(s): EB1RL
Station: EB1RL

Class: SO Mixed Unlimited QRP
QTH: Grid IN83jh

   CW:  60     12
  SSB:  25      7
-------------------
Total:  85     19  Total Score = 5,510

Club: EA Contest Club

Comments:

In this ARRL 10m Contest, I participated in portable from the north coast of
Spain, from a 700 m asl hill, with clear view of the Cantabric Sea and open to
EU and North America (IN83).

Saturday afternoon: I checked that the road was practicable, but the strong
winds prevented me from riding anything, so with a mobile vertical antenna, I
heard 3 stations that didn't copy me ... and go home to sleep.

On Sunday, the wind followed with high gusts, especially in the morning, so I
mounted 2 peculiar antennas:

1) Vertical 27MHz antenna reset to 1/4 wave for 28MHz with 4 tuned wire
radials.

2) 27MHz mobile antenna reset to 1/4 wave for 28MHz at the door, set
horizontally: With the door closed, heading EU and South America; With the door
open, to the North America.

The winner was ... antenna 1 ..., with which I did almost everything. I guess
because I had a decent ground plan and the horizontal polarization antenna was
near the ground. Although it received more noise in the vertical antenna
(s4-s6), the signal transmiting in the RBNs and receiving was stronger.

During the contest I enjoyed openings of Sporadic-E to Europe, very concentrated
and located with PA, DL and G, losing my fear of even calling in QRP due to the
intensity of the S9 + signals. It was curious to see that sometimes I was not in
the Reverse Beacon, but that stations were going into the log ... Certainly the
Cluster was worth little in this contest, at least for me.

Being with so little power, 5w of the FT817, I lost many DXCC: FR, CX, LU, F,
OK, OH, 9A and so on.

>From North America, WU1ITU broke down the s-meter for 1 minute and disappeared.
And I didn't hear anymore.

Hard contest. Very nice contest. I love this contest!.
And I discovered a good place for HF.
Tnx to all.

73 de Inaki, EB1RL.