[3830] SS SSB K0HC School Club HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Dec 20 07:55:50 EST 2019

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: K0HC
Operator(s): K0HC
Station: K0HC

Class: School Club HP
QTH: KS

Club: Hesston College ARC

Comments:

Our 2019 Hesston College ARC Sweepstakes team included four aviation and one air
traffic control student, all unlicensed. Jessica and Daniel covered Saturday,
and Payne, DJ and Tate covered Sunday afternoon and evening.  Jessica, Payne and
DJ were "SS veterans" after a fun 2018 season.

Even before "official" club practice, Payne participated in the SSB
NAQP. Our club meetings started in September on Thursday evenings. We practiced
and participated in the California QSO Party, then Payne gave the SSB Sprint a
try (a real eye-opener for him)! The practice sessions paid off for Sweepstakes
and the students ran the station starting from the first minute of Sweeps.

Our Sweep came relatively easily this year. We were missing NL, PR and AK at the
sleep break but knew they were out there. We caught NL and PR CQing a few hours
into Sunday, and finally KL7SB at 1705Z for the Sweep.

Our students always enjoy working the other School stations. I even had my
beginning Computer Programming class write a short program to read our log file
and find which schools we worked. This year we worked 11 (in order) : W4AQL K9IU
W9YB W9JWC W6YX W8EDU W4UAL KA2FIR W1YK KD8NOM W0EEE. We worked 17 dupes this
year.

Our 2018 team photo was published in QST as part of the 2019 Sweepstakes
announcement, and a number of you commented on that much to the enjoyment of the
team.  We hope to work you all again in 2020! Our log has been uploaded to
LOTW.

73, Bob, w0bh
trustee, k0hc
Hesston College ARC