[3830] TBDC WQ5L Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 29 13:18:26 EST 2019

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - 2019

Call: WQ5L
Operator(s): WQ5L
Station: WQ5L

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MS

Total:  QSOs = 268  Total Score = 1,830

100W, Inv-L @45' w/3 elevated radials, 450' Beverage NE & NW

Until yesterday, it seemed like the Big Stew always suffered from average or
poor condx here despite its temporal proximity to the winter solstice. But no
more -- I worked more stations in the I*/J*/K* grids last night than in all 17
previous Big Stew attempts combined. (!) Granted, I have made some improvements
to antennas over the years and didn't always stay up for EU sunrise in the
past.

EU signals were audible here from sunset forward, but mostly too light to work
with 100W until the sunrise enhancement brought them up. The best condx were to
northern Europe. I could not work France or Italy at all.

I hardly used the NE Beverage mostly because of an electrical noise source in
that direction which it really picks up. The TX ant was almost always better for
RX this time. Atmospheric QRN was close to nil.

Got up 45 min before my sunrise to see what was there; worked KL7RA (always
great ears) but heard nothing else beyond the west coast.

73 / HNY -- Ray WQ5L