[3830] NA Sprint CW W4EF HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 4 04:06:18 EST 2019

                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: W4EF
Operator(s): W4EF
Station: W4EF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 4:00

---------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Team: SCCC #2

Comments:

Score : 12,048

              Rig : Elecraft K3 & KPA500

         Antennas : Parallel Inverted V's at 37' for 20/40 Meters
                    55ft Vertical with lots of Radials for 80 Meters

          Soapbox :

The contest started out slow as I was getting major sand kicked in my face on 20
meters. Then things on 20 seemed to pick-up, but that only lasted about twenty
minutes. Then at 0030 UTC the bottom seemed to totally drop out. I think I went
4 or 5 minutes without a QSO, before I finally gave up and QSY'd to 40 meters.

As with 20 meters, things started out slow for me on 40, but finally picked up.
I went back to 20 a couple of times, but that only netted two extra QSOs. A
little after 0200 UTC I went to 80 meters, but it was tough going, so at around
0230 UTC I went back to 40 meters for about 25 minutes. The rate wasn't great on
40, but it netted several new multipliers making it well worth the effort.

I spent the last hour of the contest on 80 meters and got reminded why 80 meters
was such a blast when I lived back east. In those days going to 80 was always my
opportunity to kick sand in the face of the west coast big guns who had been
dominating me on 20 and 40. The shoe was definitely on the other foot in this
case, at least until the last 20 minutes or so, when it felt like I was starting
to have better luck working stations east of the Mississippi.

Glad I braved the winter rain storm to drive up to my remote site Saturday
afternoon (there were several spots were it looked like I might unwittingly
become maritime mobile). See you all next time.

73, Mike W4EF..............