[3830] RTTY WPX G2F(M0CKE) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 10 15:18:13 EST 2019

                    CQ WPX RTTY Contest - 2019

Call: G2F
Operator(s): M0CKE
Station: G2F

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Wisbech Cambs

Having watched the solarham website running upto the weekend, and seeing the
high aurora activity, I went into the contest not expecting to much. I had a
plan for hours to operate starting at 2am Saturday morning with planned breaks,
however these soon changed with band activity and rates, as soon as the rates
suffered then off time was had, It was close to my plan but not an exacting
science. The station was as switched off from the OKDX RTTY and performed
without any problems, only updates to 2tone, N1MM+ and databases were done. The
rates were reasonable through Saturday morning till about 10am when the first
off period was taken, Saturday afternoon was OK but no activity on 15, once 20m
died off I decided to take another break and rest till late evening, Sunday AM
was hard work, with many very weak signals making life difficult, so a could of
breaks were taken to reserve time. Sunday late morning was still slow but began
to pick up with some 15m activity,and the afternoon was the best time picking up
many mults and decent Q rates. Strategy switched from dueling CQ, to running on
on and S&P on another, rate and number of mults available dependent. I
didn't think the G record from 2009 was achievable in the current sun cycle, but
I surpassed with score and number of WPX, I'm sure once adjudication has taken
place it will be close, depending on accuracy, time will tell.
I thoroughly enjoyed my return to WPX RTTY and my first SO2R in this WW contest
certainly keeps one busy.
Equipment was 2 x K3 - 2 x Alpin Amps and N1MM+ with various antennas.
See you in the next one - Jim M0CKE - G2F