[3830] RTTY WPX KK9A SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Feb 16 00:04:56 EST 2019

                    CQ WPX RTTY Contest - 2019

Call: KK9A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: KK9A

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: North Carolina

Earlier in the week we were in Chicago attending the funeral for my father. We
then had a long 800 mile drive back home, much if it though pouring rain. I
drove with my copilot parrot pulling a U-Haul trailer while my wife and dog
followed behind in my dad’s car. It was slow going and then 40 miles from home
the trailer’s wheel bearing broke and I had to wait for a U-Haul tow. I was
both physically and mentally tired but I felt operating this contest would be a
good for me. My station was still basically set up from the RTTY Roundup last
month, I just had to reconnect all of the antenna coax and rotator and switching
cables. Everything appeared to be working by the starting time however after
three minutes of calling CQ on two different bands I still had not made a single
QSO. I started to question my RTTY setup. Luckily QSOs finally started to flow
in. I had a slow first hour, the following four hours were much better averaging
close to 100 QSO’s per hour. This is a very strategic contest and managing the
18 hours of off time, especially during no sunspot years, is especially
challenging. I believe that operated this one pretty well except I wish that I
had one more hour left at the end although having an earlier dinner with the XYL
was nice. I did have many hours where only one band was productive, sometimes I
tried the cluster spots but I had limited success finding and working new
multipliers with it. 66% of my 20m contacts and 31% of my 40m contacts were with
stations in Europe. These higher point contacts can really improve the score.
For the first time in years, I operated a contest using my own FCC assigned
callsign! K9PG even made mention of this during our QSO. This contest’s format
is awesome, anyone can be a multiplier and working anyone for points makes it
very fun for all. I would like to thank my QSL manager, WD9DZV, for putting my
WPX RTTY log on LoTW, Clublog and E-QSL as well as answering all of my QSL’s.
I would like to also thank everyone for the QSO’s. I plan to operate the WPX
Phone contest in March, this time I will be using the callsign PJ4R.

73,
John KK9A aka W4AAA, P40A, WP2AA and PJ4R.
http://www.kk9a.com