[3830] ARRLDX CW ND0C SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 17 19:35:40 EST 2019

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: ND0C
Operator(s): ND0C
Station: ND0C

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Minnesota

  160:    0     0
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  258   142  Total Score = 109,908

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

This was a part-time effort - missed both evenings due to family activities as
well as Sunday morning - but had fun with some nice surprises with propagation
at times.

20 meters seemed to open very early and 40 held on pretty good in the morning,
with ZL and VK workable over an hour after sunrise.  And I was able to pick up
quite a few missing 40 meter EU mults Sunday afternoon with a good hour of
daylight left.  But after about 45 minutes, suddenly nobody could hear me!

15 was very sporadic but the KH6s were booming in and I was able to snag a
couple ZLs, plus the plentiful Caribbean mults.  I have a feeling that 15 may
have opened to western EU on Sunday morning which I missed - I could hear a
couple starting to come in just as I left to teach my Sunday School class.  I
checked 10 meters several times both days but, not surprisingly, didn't hear a
thing.

I was able to work a total of 74 unique DXCC entities and considering the
limited time available and with the so-so conditions, I was pleased.

I owe a big debt of gratitude to the stations that pulled me out of the noise,
especially on 80.  Even when their KWs were just above the noise they were able
to hear me.  But of course I wasn't breaking any pileups on 80!

73,
Randy, ND0C

Rig:
    Yaesu FTDX3000 running 5 watts out

Antennas:
    Cycle 24 TX38 triband Yagi at 40 feet (2 elements on both 20 and 15, 4
elements on 10)
    Cushcraft D40 rotatable dipole (40 meters) at 42 feet
    Inverted vee with apex at 38 feet, fed with ladderline