[3830] ARRLDX CW WD8DSB SOSB/160 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 17 20:11:40 EST 2019

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: WD8DSB
Operator(s): WD8DSB
Station: WD8DSB

Class: SOSB/160 LP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 5:06

  160:  51     33
Total:  51     33  Total Score = 5,049

Only operated my home station (WD8DSB) the second night of the contest and
operated only 160 meters which is my favorite band.  Conditions were very good
all night long on 160 meters, with signals from Europe pretty easy copy near
Indianapolis at least 45 minutes before sunset (Saturday night local time).  I
was only going to put a few stations in the log before heading to bed around
11pm local time but wound up operating until 3am local time (0800 UTC Sunday)
due to all the activity and fun on 160.  Also worked 3 stations during the last
hour of the contest which allowed me to just beat my previous best.

Note: was also an operator at contest station W9VW the first night of the
contest.

WD8DSB 160 meter station details:
Transceiver: Kenwood TS-180s (100 watts) with 500 Hz IF filter.
TX Antenna: 68 foot base loaded vertical with 55 short buried radials (2500 feet
of radials).
RX Antennas: 3 small point fed pennants(pointing 40, 160, and 300 degrees) with
one W7IUV preamp.
Audio Filter: Hi-Per-Mite active audio filter (200 Hz bandwidth).

73, Don (wd8dsb)