[3830] ARRLDX CW KA1IS SOSB/40 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 17 23:45:49 EST 2019

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: KA1IS
Operator(s): KA1IS
Station: KA1IS

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: Maine

Total:  919    98  Total Score = 270,186

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Field operation from Witt Hill in Norway, ME.

IC-7610, KPA-500, KAT-500

Fixed wire beams with inverted V elements apex at 30-40 ft. 4 elements NE. 3
elements SW, NW, and SE.

Honda eu2200i generator and a bunch of small batteries
Eskimo Fatfish 949i Ice fishing tent.

The only equipment failure was a Kent paddle that was useless when it got cold.
Too much metal?

Really happy with the new antenna aimed at EU. Along with 500 watts it made a
huge difference, opening the band several hours earlier. Hoping this is the last
winter field operation. Its been a challenge to keep a station on the air. I
have learned more about rigging tarps than working DX.

Saturday afternoon when EU was booming in, I heard someone yell "Hey".
so I went outside. Some of the neighbors had ridden up the hill in snowmobiles -
which I didn't even hear - so we talked about ham radio and snow for a while.
Back in the tent, the wind picked up and started snapping the tarp above the
tent that keeps the snow off. It got so loud I couldn't hear callsigns even
through headphones - so I had to stop and pull down the tarp. Then it got really
really cold and didn't warm up until Sunday afternoon. Well I'm not really
complaining - it was an awesome contest - as always. And I'll take the full moon
in snowy mountains over insects and RFI any day.