[3830] ARRLDX CW VY1AAA(K1XM) SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 18 11:33:44 EST 2019

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: VY1AAA
Operator(s): K1XM
Station: VY1JA

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: YT
Operating Time (hrs): 35
Remote Operation

  160:    7     6
   20:  701   100
   15:   36    25
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  954   202  Total Score = 544,188

That QSO total includes 55 W and one VE stations that called me.  I think I was
most of the way to WAS.

The great conditions most US stations had didn't manifest themselves in
Whitehorse, Yukon.  Instead I had an aurora.

I only worked Europe on 20 and 40.  20 opened to Europe before my sunrise but I
generally could only run until European sunset.  40 was open at several times
but it was tough to get any rate.

The Caribbean and South America were closed at times I would have expected them
to be open.  I spent many hours listening to US stations working them.  40 was
strange, with what I could best describe as spotlight propagation - the ABC
islands would be workable but nobody else, then ZF but not KP4.  When stations
became audible I called them even if they were very weak because I wasn't sure
that I would get another chance.  In some cases they became loud later, in
others that was the only time I heard them.

I heard US stations working people on 10 but I never heard any DX there.

The op time I listed is what the logging program showed.  Actual time in front
of the "radio" was longer.

Despite the frustration it was fun being a unique multiplier.  And there were a
few Europe and JA runs to keep me awake.

Thanks to VY1JA for the use of the station, W1VE for setting this up, and W1UE
for loaning me the remoterig box.

I'll be in Roatan for the SSB contest, probably as HQ9X but possible K1XM/HR9
M/2.